Thursday, June 23, 2011

Away at Camp...

I used to do this every year.

Then I went into Conference Ministry, and just couldn't make it happen.

This year I made it happen.

When asked if I miss working in the parish, I say no. I am doing what I was called to do, and love what I do. But then I add: "What I miss is working with the youth and children." Conference Ministry just doesn't afford me many opportunities to do that.

And so what happened this week came as pure joy to me.



There was the lunch in an amazing setting:



Children falling asleep exhausted after a full day in the lap of someone they trust:



Getting to know a quirky, energetic, fun-loving group of kids:



Playing in the water on a hot day:



Meeting a ton of new friends:



Let me add one more thing: the youth and young adults who volunteer their time to make these experiences come a live for our children are among the most dedicated, passionate, creative, faithful, brilliant, energetic, and committed people I have had the pleasure to work with. Our program staff, our counselors, our volunteers give the Southwest Conference a good name. I am proud to work with them, honored to have won their trust, and lucky to have spent this time with them:




1 comment:

Barb D-P said...

AWESOME! Thanks for being at camp, John! I'm glad you were able to make time for it!