Monday, June 1, 2009

Pentecost!!!!

What a marvelous Pentecost Sunday this was!

When I entered the sanctuary at First, Phoenix, the choir was warming up. They are a lively group, indeed, and Randall - their accompanist - has an uncanny ability to wring every last ounce of energy and enthusiasm out of them. Of course, their director (Rev. Dr. Steve Wayles) has something to do with that, also. And here they are, all dressed in red - afire with the Holy Spirit.


But it was more than just Pentecost at First Church, Phoenix yesterday. The inimitable Steve Wayles was celebrating the 30th anniversary of his ordination. The church really did a very good job honoring his many accomplishments as a Pastor. I was moved to share that time with them.


From there, I went to spend the afternoon and evening with our Marshallese church in Tempe. I can't even begin to tell you how warmly received Mimi and I were. The hospitality was overwhelming, and the joy with which they conducted their worship was infectious. Tony and his wife (oh, dear, I would try to spell her name but I would only look the fool doing so: Moorda(?)) accompanied Mimi and I to dinner aftwerwards and we heard their amazing story of journey and faith across half a globe to follow the leading of the Spirit in their lives. What in inspiration they are!


Anyway, that was Pentecost. What a grand and glorious day !!!

Happy Birthday, Church!

No comments: