Monday, August 25, 2008

A Busy Weekend

Well, let me give you a glimpse of a Day off - I do like to play hard.

The morning started with a hike around the Papago Mountain. Molly and I took the morning and climbed around. Some great views, more than a little exertion, some risky forays out over the rocks all made for an enjoyable morning with some spectacular views.

A little later in the day, Adam and I gave the TPC at Scottsdale a whirl. Someone directed me to a site where you can buy tee times at some nice courses for a very reasonable price, and two days later Adam and I are teeing off on a legitimate PGA course. We didn't do badly there, either. A great time, to be sure.

Friday night brought another passion and pleasure of mine - baseball. It would be the first time in 12 years I would get to see Randy Johnson pitch (that is he on the mound), and he did not disappoint. Though his teammates let him down by blowing the lead that would have given him the win, Randy struck out 13 in the game before leaving after 7 innings. A masterful performance, and brought back memories of a man who once dominated the game. My brother Jay that very night was watching a young phenom pitcher throw in San Francisco - one Tim Lincecum. We texted each other all night long. That added to the pleasure of the night.

Saturday was just as busy, though somewhat less exciting. It began with a couple early hours in the office, followed by a meeting at the I-Hop with some Youth Ministry reps, followed by an important Conference call at 9:15, followed by a meeting with the Conference's Youth and Outdoor Ministry Committee. They are pictured here.

Sunday began with a trip up the Highway to Dewey to help them celebrate the ministry of Rev. Sigmund Podlozny, who will preach his last sermon there next Sunday before he heads to Boston and retirement. I apologize for the quality of the picture, but want to post it anyway.
That is Sigmund sitting at the dinner table next to my lovely wife. That trip was followed by a relaxing afternoon in the home of Cathy Kim, who served on the Search Committee that called me here and who has been an angel to Mimi and me. She gathered with the Mission of Service committee from Church of the Beatitudes in Phoenix, and we talked about the value of covenant partnership, and all the ministry that is made possible by their Contributions to the wider church through OCWM. I am grateful for that conversation, and for the prayers that were promised for me and my ministry as I left them to finish their work.

This was a good weekend.

No comments: