Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A full weekend in New Mexico

I had my first trip to Angel Fire this weekend - Wow!

What a spectacular place this is. The church is in a time of pastoral transition, and my visit with them was to help them understand how to conduct a search for a pastor with a church that is affiliated with four very different denominations.

The sanctuary is spectacular, as are the views from it. The worship was lively and engaging. And, lest I forget, a heartfelt thanks to my gracious hosts for the weekend, Bill and Karen Chapman.

From there I drove down to Los Cruces (after spending the night with our CoCAM chair Lee Albertson, who accompanied me on the trip). While there, we met with members from our churches in Silver City and El Paso - who with us met with members of First Christian Church in Los Cruces. We all then spent the afternoon talking about how to help First Christian discern whether or not they are being called to dually affiliate with the United Church of Christ. Now THAT was a joy-filled afternoon, let me tell you. Picture here are Mike from Silver City, and Ellen and Marcos from El Paso.

Lee and I drove home and were privileged to view on the almost 4 hour drive some of the most spectacular scenery the Southwest has to offer. This picture is actually from the drive down from Angel Fire, but you get a sense of what I am talking about. Enjoy.

No comments: