Monday, November 10, 2008

La Trinidad

What a marvelous Sunday this was. A long drive, to be sure, but well worth it as I helped La Trinidad celebrate both their 118th Anniversary and the Licensure of their pastor, Jessie Sustaita.


First, here is the gas station where I filled up in Southeastern Arizona. Why show this? Because this is where the old guy in the beat up pickup drove me to after I ran out of gas on the Highway. I might have had a few things on my mind - but really, no excuse. Just being dumb again.

But, once I got to El Paso, I had a blast. Did a little adventure seeking in the morning, and came across this amphitheater hidden in the Franklin Mountains. Can't wait to see a concert or play here.









Then, La Trinidad celebrated. Jessie was recognized in the service for her authorization as a Licenced Minister. There were tears of joy, dancing, music, and food. Desert View UCC in El Paso cancelled there worship service to attend and help in the celebration, and members from Sin Fronteras were there as well.

All in all, it was a memorable expression of covenant partnership all the way around. And watching how much this day meant to Jessie was deeply moving. She clearly feels a strong call to this ministry. We pray for her and all that this ministry will bring to the church and the community.

1 comment:

Crawford's said...

The ladies at La Trinidad are worth meeting--they provided us with one of the best dinners I've ever had at a SW Conf. Annual Mtg. three years ago. Their Green Corn Tamales were out of this world. And what a wonderful, welcoming church they are! Faith Crawford