Thursday, December 4, 2008

From Albuquerque to Orlando














Early in the week, I had the pleasure of spending a day with the 'Bishops' of New Mexico. We had a day of prayer, of meaningful dialogue, and of heartfelt debate on substantive issues. You will not be surprised to learn that we did not all agree on the subject of Domestic Partnerships, which will be on the legislative agenda in New Mexico. I did not expect we would agree, but I didn't necessarily expect that we would be able to talk as openly and freely and honestly about that as we did. That was a nice surprise. My thanks both to Barbara Dua, our Executive Director, and Sue Gallagher - my deputy (I love the thought that I have a deputy)in the New Mexico Conference of Churches. She is pictured above (middle photo) fully engaged in the dialogue that our ecumenical partners shared with us.

But now I am in Orlando, meeting with all of the Conference Ministers throughout the denomination. My very close friend, Sheldon Culver, is seated next to me (that is she in this first picture). We are engaged in weighty and serious matters (OCWM shortfalls right now, Conference Minister Fitness Reviews earlier - oh my!).

I will try and report a couple of times while down here. Do keep us in your prayers. Still to come are presentations from our Pension Boards, from the Insurance Boards, from our National Legal Counsel, and quite a few other things.

Till then, be well.

No comments: