Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Great Day at Camp





On the way to visit our Senior High Youth at camp last week, my daughter and I passed through Jerome, AZ. It was spectacular, and a very tangile reminder both of the beauty inherent to this land and to the blessings that come my way every time I wind my way through their back roads and highways.

When we arrived at camp, I had the opportunity to engage in a knock-down, drag-out, no-holds-barred soccer match with the Senior High Youth. My daughter put a hit out on me, announcing that she would pay anyone who took me down on the field of play. Michael was the one to do it. He hit me hard (embarassed, I am sure, that someone my age outmanuevered him, outran him, and beat him to the ball we were chasing down), and down I went. My daughter, true to her promise, remunerated him for his services following the final whistle.

That incident did not dampen my spirits.

Here I am engaged in deep conversation with Vaughn from Shadow Rock. Can anyone guess what is is we might be so ardently speaking to each other about? It ain't theology. If you guessed baseball, pat yourself on the back.

All in all, I had a blast. I was sorry to have to leave before the Talent Show that evening. It is my hope that next summer, I will spend far more than an afternoon and evening with them. Our youth are quite remarkable, and we will work very hard to build relationship with them; and lay claim to the gifts they offer in order to enhance our shared mission and minstry.

No comments: