Thursday, July 24, 2008

Meet a Hall of Famer





I met Richard Mitchell on my first trip to Albuquerque. I knew immediately we would get along well. A man of stature who comports himself with dignity, grace, and pride I found myself wanting to get to know him just a little better. And when I found out he loved baseball, well....

It would turn out that the weekend I was visiting, he would be directing a women's fast-pitch softball tournament. I would beg later in the weekend to have my schedule amended to go and watch some of the competition before my plane took off. I'm glad I did. It gave me a couple of hours more to sit and visit with Richard.

Lou and I (another member of Church of the Good Shepherd in Albuquerque) would spend a good part of the afternoon talking baseball with Richard. I can't think of a better way to wile away the time. We told stories of heroes long gone; of memories that linger; of moments that shape childhoods; of men that inspire. It was a delight.

But it was in that conversation that I discovered something else that Richard and I share in common: we both officiated college baseball. Well, I did a little - a hobby for a local church pastor who wanted more time and more life in order to give more to a pasttime he loved. But Richard really did officiate college baseball - at the highest levels.

By the time we finished that conversation, I stood in awe of the man. He did things I only dreamt of, and did them well. I had the strong sense that I was not the only one who recognized how distinguished his own career in this field was, and it turns out I was not.

Last month Richard was elected into the New Mexico Officials Association Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame: hat's quite an honor, and comes only after a lifetime of commitment and excellence. That places him at the pinnacle among his peers.

We are honored to know him, and to make good use of his love for his church and the service that from that comes.

I have asked Richard to put his services to use for us, and to organize a softball game at our Annual Meeting in April between the youth and the clergy of the Conference. Guess who I'm going to ask to umpire that game?

No comments: