Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An event and a loss...



We want to thank Wally Ryan-Kuroiwa, pictured here, for his leadership at our Justice and Witness summit. 55 delegates gathered from all over the Southwest Conference - from Yuma to El Paso. It was an important event as we seek the counsel of our covenant partners to give shape to the work of justice in the Southwest Conference. As Maria Elena reminds us, though, there better be some action come out of this, cuz talk comes cheap. Amen

And I sadly give tribute to a man who had become my friend since arriving here in the Southwest, and who will always be fondly remembered by me for his choice of music as my candidacy was affirmed by the voters at last year's Annual Meeting: "Put Me in Coach." I loved Chuck Ballard, and I will miss him. He died Monday, with dreams both accomplished and unfinished. His devotion to his church, his pastor, and his beloved Southwest Conference made him the joy of many of our hearts. Goodbye, dear friend.

1 comment:

Tyler Connoley said...

I don't know about anyone else, but I plan to call on Chuck as my patron saint of A/V and computer stuff. I believe he is now part of the cloud of witnesses, and will be paying close attention to how we do worship in the twenty-first century.