Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Long Couple Days

I'm sitting in the Orlando airport. Got up this morning at 3:30am to catch my flight back - that is, 3:30 eastern time. I'll let you do the math.

What am I doing in Orlando? Golf? Disney? Perhaps catching a Tampa Bay/Yankees game with my good friend Kent Siladi, Conference Minister here in Florida and an obnoxious Yankee fan? No, no, and no.

Meetings.

I'm helping plan a week of meetings for all Conference Staffs from all over the denomination. We meet every two years in in December in Orlando for a week-long conference. We try to learn here how we do what we do. It's a valuable experience.

I write a lot about what I am doing WITHIN the Conference; but there are times when my work OUTSIDE the Conference is as important. It helps me remember that we are connected to a wider body - all parts of which are doing remarkable things to further the strength of our call and mission in the world.

We have outstanding people working on our behalf throughout this denomination.

Here is one of my favorites: Dick Sparrow. He was there. He came to the Southwest Conference not to long ago to help train our Committee on Church and the Ministry. He is as wise and deeply spiritual a man as any I have ever met. It was a joy spending time with him.

Anyway, I will soon be heading back home - for a day. More travels to come in this very busy month.

Prayers, please.

2 comments:

Barb D-P said...

John,
Here's my prayer for your month. Barb

O God,
when my head spins and bones ache
from leaping through the
universe at light speed,
ground me in
your center of gravity.

When bits and burdens
of details and agendas,
blurred conversations and
lost pieces of piled
commitments
flurry and fuzz my brain,
clear me with your calm Spirit.

When mornings dawn with
drawn muscles
and clenched teeth,
and nights settle into
unsettled anxieties,
release me into
the assuring and effortless flow
of your Wisdom.

O God,
ground me,
clear me,
release me –
so that in this
furied and frenzied time,
I might shine
a simple light of love
to those more furied and
frenzied than me. Amen.

jcdorhauer said...

Thank you. That is beautiful, and I will carry it with me through the month.