Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Prayers Requested

First, a note about my friend and colleague, Rev. Douglas Anders. Douglas is the Conference Minister with our next door neighbors to the east, the South Central Conference. They have been hit hard by two recent hurricanes (the Conference encompasses Texas and Louisiana). Here is an update in his own words:

Affects of Hurricane Ike: Most of our UCC churches in the Houston Association suffered minor to moderate wind and water damage. There have no reports or major or extensive damage to church buildings. A few UCC churches on the outer edge of the Association (Beaumont, TX and Lake Charles, LA have not reported). Most UCC churches cancelled worship services on Sunday but one church had church service (even without power) and had 40 people in worship. The major concern is the restoration of power, which may take weeks. Even when power is restored it may on and off, on and off. The Conference office (located in St. Peter's UCC-Houston, TX) had power restored at midnight on Monday. As the media reports, there was not major loss of life but widespread wind and water related damage.

On a personal note, I am temporarily homeless. I attended a four day LinK event at the Church House in Cleveland, OH, which was from Thursday to Sunday (9/11 to 9/14). Not being able to get back to Houston (both airports closed), I rerouted to St. Louis, getting in late Sunday night. I am connecting to churches and clergy via e-mail and cell phone. My own house is without power as of this afternoon and has a large 60 year old tree in the backyard; not my tree but my neighbor's tree. The good news is that it fell between my garage and house with no damage to either the garage or house. The bad news I have to use the front door because I can't get into the house from the back door, unless the tree is gone by the time I get back to Houston. I hope to return to Houston later this week, to see first hand the damage.


For more info and updates, go to http://www.sccucc.org/

And, in addition to that, here is a report from Francis Rath in his own words:

Alles ist Gut!!! All is Good! Surgery went very well, my recovery is right on schedule, and there are been no complications whatever. So, THANK YOU for your continuing prayers, good thoughts and concerns. I have felt like I am surrounded by a cloud of witnesses lifting me up in prayers. Marge has been incredible . .and is also feeling much better about the whole thing. Part of the report on Thursday will include the findings of lymph-nodes also removed. So that is still of some concern, but I am confident this will also be negative.

Blessings to you all! And thank you again for your prayers.

No comments: