Monday, September 8, 2008

A weekend in El Paso




Friday night jazz, an early morning breakfast with a group of ornery men, an afternoon hike through the Mountains, a large gathering of friendly folk at Dominguez restaurant Saturday evening, a stirring worship hour on Sunday morning followed by potluck, QandA, and fellowship before heading back home late Sunday afternoon all conspired to make my first ever visit to El Paso a memorable one.

I really didn't know what to expect, and found myself enthralled by the city that wound it's way around large mountains, deep valleys, river beds, and a border defining two states and two countries.

I enjoyed meeting some wonderful characters along the way - including a guy named Larry who just had to show up at Dominquez and sit right next to me all night wearing a Boston Red Sox jersey. Not to be outdone, my old buddy Stan showed up with just the right apparel Sunday for worship (that is he in the foreground here). Meeting Ruth was a special joy, as she spoke not only of her 'conversion' and dedication to the United Church of Christ, but also of her leadership on National Boards through the years and her spirit as a feminist Chicano. What a spirit!

And here is my host for the weekend, Jane. She was a delight! I would picture Les, her husband - but I thought I would spare you. Not only that, as gracious as she was - well, he was just that ornery (yep, he was part of the Saturday morning breakfast crew).

We lift the good folk at Desert View up in our prayers through their time of Transitional ministry, and especially Diane Christopherson - their Interim pastor, here shown contemplating the movement of the Holy Spirit in a place of uplift (I'm just sure that's what she's doing).

2 comments:

homeinarizona said...

Just wait until you see Sam at work at Desert Garden. "Surely the Lord is in this place." I quoted to him as I left his first sermon as pastor!

Roger

jcdorhauer said...

Can't wait! I will be there next week.