Monday, September 29, 2008

Another Great Weekend



I won't be able to add some of the pics till later in the week (I am sitting in the Sky Harbor airport waiting for my plane to take off - Cleveland this time), but here are some quick thoughts about another fruitful weekend.

Friday, I flew to Albuquerque for the Annual banquet for the New Mexico Conference of Churches. It was an enjoyable evening. Lee Maynard received their very honorable 'Turquoise Chalice' award. Here is his picture.

I flew back Saturday morning, and met with the Youth Council. Oh, my goodness - what an amazing bunch of young men and women. We talked about the future of youth ministry and youth presence in the Conference.

From there I went to the Hispanic Minister's gathering at South Mountain church here in Phoenix to hear Linda Jaramillo preach. Linda is the Executive Minister of the Justice and Witness Ministries of the United Church of Christ - a member of the Collegium. It was an honor to have her among us, and a joy to hear her preach.

And then yesterday I had the honor of preaching at the 5th anniversary of First Congregational UCC's decision to become an Open and Affirming church. What an absolute delight that was! I guess now is as good a time as any to answer a question that many of you have been asking. The answer is First Congregational. The question is: where are you going to place your membership. I let Mimi make the choice, and when not with me on my sojourns around the Conference, she has been traveling around. We met with Steve Wayles after the service in his office and informed him of our decision. We are very happy about this.

Well, enough for now. My plane is taking off soon, and I must get ready. I will post again later in the week, so stay tuned.

No comments: