Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Wow, What a Weekend!



I set out early Friday morning for Camp Thunderbird in southern New Mexico, a shortish drive from Silver City. Eight hours later, I pulled into heaven and spent three days there.

The highlight of the trip for me was the Saturday excursion to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. It was a deeply spiritual experience - at least the part of the morning that came between Saul's drive into the mountains and then again out of the mountains wherein the cliff dwellings were located. We stopped at a couple of spots along the way for some spectacular views - which I will be happy to share with all of you when I remember to get up in the morning and bring my camera with me to the office.


Anyway, I met a thousand new friends this weekend (I know mom, you've told me a million times not to exaggerate), walked through some pretty countryside, and read through my entire New Yorker magazine. I felt relaxed and refreshed. The weekend culminated for me with a stirring service of worship, and in that much of the music used was masterfully composed and arranged by Rev. Dianne Christopherson, the Interim Minister at Desert View UCC in El Paso TX. The flute solo by Katy Eyberg was especially moving.

I spent Labor Day watching the Cards lose to the D-Backs. So much for hospitality - I wait all year for this one game, and the home team treats me like a rented mule.This is a picture of a St. Louis native, and one of their key relievers. He grew up a child of Friedens Chapel UCC, where my good friend Donna Pupillo is the pastor. She confirmed young Kyle McClellan. When he ran by, I said hello to him, and sent him greetings from his former pastor. He grinned and told me to tell her hello.

I wish I could go back tonight and tomorrow, but alas, I am on a plane for a meeting in Florida. Which reminds me: I covet your prayers. September is, as I expressed to a member of our staff this morning, a Marathon race for me run at the pace of a sprint. I could use the spiritual uplift. Follow the Blog over the next few weeks and you will get more of a sense of what I'm talking about.

When I get the camera back in my hands, I will post some more pics from this weekend. My next post will come from Florida - stay tuned!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, John.

It was great to have you with us at Camp Thunderbird last weekend, and we're looking forward to your visit to El Paso this weekend. DVUCC would like to take you out for some good Mexican food on Saturday night. Can you be available around 7:00 p.m.?

See you soon.
Ellen Eyberg

jcdorhauer said...

Now we're talking!

You bet I can be - let's do it.

I, too, am looking forward to my first ever trip to El Paso.

I am hoping to hear some live West Texas music sometime. Maybe Lyle Lovett will come serenade us at the restaurant.